Tag Archives: eder

Eder on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad

Eder was a station on the B & O Railroad. It was located near the bridge that carries Nottingham Road over the tracks, and is about one mile east of Mechanics Valley.  It was named for William H. Eder, who owned a large farm in that vicinity.

The Baltimore & Ohio railroad began providing service between Baltimore and Philadelphia in 1886. To accommodate freight and travelers in Cecil County a number of stations (8 or 9) were built adjacent to the tracks, and one of these stops was Eder.

A timetable for the railroad appeared in an October 1886 edition of the Elkton Appeal. It showed that there were two trains a day stopping at Eder. A westbound train was scheduled at 7.24 a.m. and an eastbound one stopped at 6:51 p.m.

For additional photos related to this post visit Delmarva History on Facebook.

Eder Station

Eder Station on the B & O Railroad.
source: Library Comp;any of Philadelphia, Online Collection.
http://lcpdams.librarycompany.org:8881/R/?func=collections-result&collection_id=1151

Advertisements