This year the Water Witch Fire Company of Port Deposit marks an important milestone in the department’s history, a half-century of EMS service to the community. It was in the autumn of 1964 that the Company purchased its first ambulance, a 1957 Oldsmobile from the Union Fire Company of Oxford.
With that important enhancement, much speedier emergency medical service was provided to residents of the fire department’s territory with an ambulance housed in the center of the Susquehanna River town at Station 7.
To support the service, an ambulance membership drive was started with subscribers contributing $3 a year. The secretary-treasurer of the fund, Russell McFall, was the first member and Port Deposit Mayor Hubert F. Ryan and Ambulance Captain William H. Keetley were on hand to accept the donation. Anyone wishing to subscribe to the ambulance service as instructed to contact McFall at DR 5-7271.