Big Elk Creek, Saturday, Dec., 29, 2012 — On the last Saturday in 2012, a light snow gently blanketed the Big Elk Creek valley. The twisting, turning stream, flowing gently toward the Chesapeake, was the source of industrial power in the pre-electrification era and many mills lined the waterway. Today, it still retains significant cultural resources that reflect the 18th and 19th centuries in Cecil County. And a gentle snowy day amplifies the beauty of the old mills, homes, churches, graveyards, schools and other places as the timeless flow of the creek ambles along on its course through history.
Follow Cecil County History on Facebook
- Paul Fleming on On Memorial Day 1947, Eastern Airlines Flight 605 Crashed Near Port Deposit
- Mike Dixon on Dr. Tierney Published Highly Acclaimed Women’s Studies Encyclopedia
- James Sentman on Dr. Tierney Published Highly Acclaimed Women’s Studies Encyclopedia
- Mike Dixon on Remembering a Rising Sun Sailor Lost on the USS Battleship Maine
- Lona Tanner on Remembering a Rising Sun Sailor Lost on the USS Battleship Maine
- Mike Dixon on The 1960s, a Decade of Protest — the Local Perspective
- Lona Tanner on The 1960s, a Decade of Protest — the Local Perspective
- Mike Dixon on Iron Hill was once a thriving village.
- Jane Wassmer on Iron Hill was once a thriving village.
- What to Learn in College to Stay One Step Ahead of Computers, via @nytimes nytimes.com/2015/05/24/ups… 19 hours ago
- Ancestor's Picture in the Newspapers? Three Steps to an Amazing Photograph news.legacyfamilytree.com/legacy_news/20… 6 days ago
- Chasing that probate legalgenealogist.com/blog/2015/05/1… 6 days ago
- Genealogy Website Ancestry.com Explores Sale recode.net/2015/05/20/gen… 6 days ago
- Brown v. Board of Education Came Very Close To Being A Dark Day In American History thinkprogress.org/justice/2015/0… 1 week ago
- Ancestor's Picture in the Newspapers? Three Steps to an Amazing Photograph news.legacyfamilytree.com/legacy_news/20… 1 week ago
- David McCullough Explains Why Librarians Are the Best thereadingroom.com/blog/david-mcc… 1 week ago
- What’s New in the National Archives Catalog: WWI Photographs aotus.blogs.archives.gov/2015/05/05/wha… 1 week ago
- Improving media capacity: The decline of midsized papers brookings.edu/blogs/fixgov/p… 1 week ago
- Tri-State Marker Trail Dedication and Celebration of the 250th Anniversary of the Mason Dixon Survey May 11, 2015
- 94-Year Old Relative of Officer Killed in Line of Duty in 1915 Attends Wilmington Police Ceremony May 11, 2015
- Maryland Paper Money: An Illustrated History, 1864-1935 Released May 11, 2015
- 237,376 hits