Big Elk Creek, Saturday, Dec., 29, 2012 — On the last Saturday in 2012, a light snow gently blanketed the Big Elk Creek valley. The twisting, turning stream, flowing gently toward the Chesapeake, was the source of industrial power in the pre-electrification era and many mills lined the waterway. Today, it still retains significant cultural resources that reflect the 18th and 19th centuries in Cecil County. And a gentle snowy day amplifies the beauty of the old mills, homes, churches, graveyards, schools and other places as the timeless flow of the creek ambles along on its course through history.
Follow Cecil County History on Facebook
- Mike Dixon on Remembering a Rising Sun Sailor Lost on the USS Battleship Maine
- Lona Tanner on Remembering a Rising Sun Sailor Lost on the USS Battleship Maine
- Mike Dixon on The 1960s, a Decade of Protest — the Local Perspective
- Lona Tanner on The 1960s, a Decade of Protest — the Local Perspective
- Mike Dixon on Iron Hill was once a thriving village.
- Jane Wassmer on Iron Hill was once a thriving village.
- Mike Dixon on A Susquehanna River Village That Vanished — Conowingo
- Marie Sypolt on Perryville Railroad Site Accepted Into the National Underground Railroad Network to Freedom
- Maria Zambuto on A Susquehanna River Village That Vanished — Conowingo
- Popular History Happy Hour in Kent County Features Chilling Murder Story wp.me/ph5G9-Te 18 hours ago
- They’re Here! « Seeking Michigan zite.to/1BqnBdx 1 day ago
- News Industry Shrugs, Prepares to Hand Entire Business Over to Facebook zite.to/1M1SMpy 1 day ago
- At 96, reader professes love of newspapers on eve of merger zite.to/1xhL2cm 1 day ago
- Lots of precedent for media dependence on Facebook, including cautionary tales zite.to/1D0cC0h 1 day ago
- How Facebook could kill the news brand zite.to/1IulrhA 1 day ago
- New Jersey newspapers to team up with NJ Advance Media zite.to/1yagog5 1 day ago
- Facebook as a Press Baron zite.to/19PfFMj 1 day ago
- Facebook set to host content for news publishers zite.to/1EEM9QQ 1 day ago
- Pan American Airways Crash Worst Disaster in Maryland History
- A Susquehanna River Village That Vanished -- Conowingo
- On Memorial Day 1947, Eastern Airlines Flight 605 Crashed Near Port Deposit
- Our Lady of the Highway Watches Over Stretch of Interstate Where Massive Pileup Occurred
- A Surviving African-American One-Room Schoolhouse
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- 232,306 hits