Sylmar draws its name from its location on the state border, taking the second syllable of Pennsylvania and first syllable of Maryland. Its growth came about after the Philadelphia and
Baltimore Central Railroad built a line through the area in the mid-1860s. In 1877, the company erected a depot and freight house at the spot, calling the station State Line. That was soon changed to Sylmar. By 1902, the population had reached 50 people, according to Polk’s Maryland Directory. It had an undertaker (W. N. Brown), a blacksmith (Amos Whiteman), auctioneer (S. H. Dowland), a general store (Kimble S. Howard), and a number of other business interests that year.
With the railroad depot, freight house, and siding creating growth, the U.S. Post Office opened a station here on March 26, 1886. In the midst of the Great Depression, the facility closed on Dec. 30, 1933.
Several postcards exist of this northwestern Cecil County town, located just a few miles northeast of Rising Sun. The two below show the railroad depot and the post office and store. Other images of the community include shots of the church, school and additional views of the railroad. These cards are from about 1912.