While Cecil County once had dozens of one-room schoolhouses serving rural areas and small villages, many of these structures have disappeared in recent decades. The most recent one, the old Cherry Grove School near Sylmar, was leveled during the past week or so. Built about 1881 for $680, it closed on October 24, 1931 when pupils were transferred to Calvert. For years it served as a private dwelling.
We were first informed that it was going to be demolished in August, and over the past weekend we drove down Little New York Road to check on the old place. It had been razed. Click her to see what we wrote about it in August.