The Fair Hill Natural Resource Center opened one of Cecil County’s surviving one room schools to the public Saturday. Located in the center of the state park, the structure was restored by the Elk Creeks Preservation Society about a decade ago.
Built about 1830, the fieldstone schoolhouse predates the establishment of the county school system in 1850. It was a subscription school, a place built by local residents to educate their children but in 1852 Center School was incorporated into the county system. Classes were held here until it closed about 1920.